Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Team 1 - Day 1: Grand Canyon University

Wow! Vinaka Jisu! Thank you Jesus! I have made it past the first few days!
He has been faithful in restoring me and reviving me from a busy few days of travel and stress and has adjusted me to "Fiji (island) time" quite well. Here, time moves slowly and, unless otherwise stated, things can be early, on time, late, or none of the above... and it's OK!

Upon arrival, I had a smooth airport pickup and ride from Nadi to Lautoka (where I'll be spending the summer) where I soon met my SI Fiji Country Directors: The amazing Ratu Oska Vuki and his incredible wife Aralai. These two have already ensure my Summer to be one of learning from their wisdom and unwavering trust in the Lord for their needs. Their status as prayer warriors has also brought such encouragement to my heart as well as the other site directors utilized by SI in our outreaches. We currently have 6 sites in Lautoka that we work with. I will list the names of the site directors as you should get familiar with them for the following 10 weeks of blog posts. :) Our service-sites include: A Primary School directed by Master Apenise  (ah-pay-nee-say), a Special-Ed school directed by Sokoveti (Soko), Mt. Zion Preschool and Kindergarten directed by Ase (ah-say), two women's ministry sites direct by Rusila, (Ru) and a prison ministry directed by Mosese (Mo-say-say).
I am quickly learning how flexible one must be to spend any length of time in the mission field... Some days, our sites either won't have children in the schools (because of the water cuts or other social reasons), or we won't be allowed into the prison, etc... We are learning to trust His will for what it is (and the Bible says it is perfect!). Vinaka!

Everyone here speaks at least two--usually three--languages. Fijian is primary, while English and Hindi follow shortly behind. As for myself, the Lord is COMPLETELY blessing my learning of Fijian! I can now read it and not sound like a bafoon stumbling over the pronunciation. I can count to 20, and can ask various questions and can use all major greetings and polite sayings. Praise Jesus! He is faithful in all things!

Arriving to the 2 story, beautiful base camp just 1.5 miles from the sea-wall, it was more than I had hoped for (to be quite frank...)! I have a bed to myself, I have a shower (as of today, as the first 2 days we were under a "water cut" and had no running water or toilet usage within the surrounding province), we have private cooks who cook AMAZING Fijian, American, Indian, and Asian cuisine (and not bad mexican either!), we have a great team jointing us from Grand Canyon University, and most of all we have Jesus to light our way even when we can not see! In some ways, it's hard to believe I've already been here for 3 days... In others, it feels as though I've been here for many years as I am in the comfort of (what seems to be) "old" friends. I've never come into contact with a more genuine, friendly culture. One that not only embraces each other in peace, but also others who are visiting (even just visiting their store of fruit stand in the marketplace!).

The Lord is blessing us greatly here at 6 Ragg St. in Lautoka. We have many things to be grateful for, and yet we can always be in prayer. Please join us in prayer for a few various things:

- Upon arrival to the Nadi airport I was asked to clarify the intentions of my visit. They have placed me on a "time allowance" due to the fact that typical missionaries are only allowed to stay here for 14 days. This should not be a problem to resolve, but it requires a trip to the immigration office and a lot of prayer for a smooth fix and with not issues in that process. Thank you.

- Please continue to pray that if the Lord would like me to learn the Fijian language in this way that He would continue to clarify it in my mind. The Fijian people have been very helpful, but I will need the understanding that only comes through Christ to  get anywhere in these 10 weeks.

- Please pray for our group visiting right now. What an incredible group of people! Pray for safety,  understanding, flexibility, and community as we continue serving together for the furthering of the kingdom. Amen.

Blessings for now,
- Austin

P.S. A short description of the photo. In Fijian culture, the highest attire a man can wear is a "Bula Shirt" and a Sulu (man-skirt). This is considered suit and tie and is very formal and respectful to the sites we visit... Thus it is my new dress code! It's surprisingly comfortable and easy to get used to...Save the moments when a large gust of wind arises. :)


1 comment: