Monday, June 16, 2014

On Yasawairara - Vakaraubuka ( Friday)

Friday
As the plane engine whirred and I felt the drag of the small wings increase, I had the first of my many "This can't be real." moments.
The flight from Viti Levu was short, uneventful, and in every way spectacular. I have never been so aware of the Lord's hand in creation than I have this weekend. After soaring over (what seemed like) countless pristine islands and glittering turquoise barrier reefs, we finally approached my new home away from home: The village of Bukama. Though, from the air, small and ordinary, this village would change my life. We touched down surprisingly smoothly on the grass airstrip situated between two mountains and were greeted by the resort staff... Or rather, the other two passengers on our plane who were going to the resort were greeted. For us, on the other hand, we waited and watched as the plane took off, then glided out of view. Leaving us just with the sound of the wind rustling through the coconut palms, and the hibiscus trees and the muffled sound of the new Yasawan-Fijian dialect buzzing through the excited locals around me. After what seemed like half an hour (the absence of civilazation-noise makes time feel non-existent) we retrieved some of the fresh coconut not used by the resort greeters and loaded onto a flatbed track racing chariot style behind the cab. This was my second "This can't be real." moment. With new birds large emerald trees zipping past us just inches beside our faces. Chowing down on fresh coconut with the smell of the sea, bananas, and fresh rainfall filling our noses. It wasn't long before we arrived at Bukama and dropped our supplies in Mosese small, but well kept home. With the, now, familiar woven-palm mats underneath me we began the first (family) sevusevu. We gave the gifts of sugar, flour, milk, tea, butter, and a dozen loaves of bread as we shared tea and first introductions.

After meeting Mosese's family and a quick stroll on the breathtaking beach, I sulu'ed up in the business-casual "wrap-around" sulu (as opposed to the suit-and-tie "pocket sulu") and we made our way to the chief's house. Typically, I've read, the main sevusevu service before the chief takes placenta ode the kings home and is very ceremonial. This time, however, we were invited in and I was asked to sit down in Yasawan. The chief, who I had been so nervous to meet, was then wheeled out in his wheelchair.
At first I was relieved and almost all nervousness was gone... Until he looked at me. His powerful gaze made up for whatever weakness his body may have felt. As we proceeded with the sevusevu, Mosese's cousin Sakarai (his English name is Zacharias) spoke on my behalf and said he would be taking responsibility or my actions. He also apologized in advance for if I would do anything to offend the village. After a short speech and introduction, the chief, or Tai (grandfather) as he's affectionately called, said I would be allowed to stay in Bukama. From then, it was all laughs and playing guitar for close to half an hour as Tai gave me some life advice. He asked my companions if I was married then asked, "Why not?!" He said, in Fijian (which Mosese translated for me later), that money will always be there for me (he could tell from my clothing, glasses, etc. that I was American), but that only two things really mattered in life... To serve Kalou (God) and to be married. After all, he laughed, "money won't be there to massage your shoulders later on!" He also gave me a new name. He asked my Enlish name, my Fijian name, and then gave me my Yasawan name for all to call me while I was in Bukama... Stini. Because in Fijian, Ositini means "10 horses" and, apparently, this didn't make muh sense to Tai.
As I was sitting and listening to this man's heart... Even though I couldn't understand his words, I understood his intentions: And they were good. He genuinely cared for me. He acted as if I had been his son for years and years and told me that he is always at his house and that I can come to him for any need at any time. Sitting and listening to the chief I teared up as I received a word from The Lord telling me to open my eyes and see my true "Tai". My true "Chief" sits in his house, always available to be called on by those who He loves. He offers protection, love, and acceptance to those who approach Him, and He gives us a new name for our new life including calling us sons and daughters. What a beautiful picture of my God I've seen in Tai!

After my sevusevu, we came back and took a walk around the beach. We climbed to highest rock between the two village beaches and sang and prayed over the village and our time spent there. After enjoying the sunset from the rock, we climbed down and made our way to the house where we put on our pocket sulus for the youth service at Mosese's church. At church I was acknowledged and welcomed as their guest and was asked to briefly introduce myself and say a few words of encouragement. With lots of singing and a sermon about the impending rapture of the church, the service was beautiful. The church is new and is not much more than wood framing, a sand floor (it is an island, after all), corrugated tin walls, and cinderblock and wood plank benches for seating.

After the service, the electricity was shut off for the day and I was immediately captivated by the brightest moon I've ever seen. I gazed up into the heavens and was blown away as the realization of where I was was beginning to sink in. After visiting with friends and family in their homes on our walk back, we arrived home for a chicken dinner! I didn't realize how hungry I was until we got back. After dinner we took another walk down the bright, moonlit beach and talked about the service and about Bukama and why we might be here. Mosese then I formed me that the pastor had asked me to preach at church on Sunday! What?! I'm glad he decided to tell me then so I could at least be preparing... However, without my ESV bible (I only brought my Fijian-English one that sounds like it was put through google translate a few times), and without the usual online study tools I can access this was going to be up to God. My mind still racing about Sunday, I gladly fell asleep on one of the only two beds in the house. I tried to protest, but Fijians are extremely stubborn when it comes to their selflessness. With the rest of the family sleeping on the mats in the home with myself and Mosese on the beds, I didn't wake up once until the morning.

















(This photo was taken at night! A 15 second exposure + REALLY bright moonlight!)

5 comments:

  1. So, so obvious that the One who is your Anchor has called you and is right there with you! Thanks for sharing with us Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Blog Austin enjoyed the read and the beautiful pictures..... the plane ride was better than I first visualized when you told us about it. I had visions of a puddle jumper with pontoons that would fly you a couple of hundred feet elevation across the bay.... did it land on the water? can't imagine any strip there on that island. Stay safe and enjoy...... I love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize I had missed your first paragraph on this blog where you told of the air field landing. I got carried away and looked at all the pictures first then saved all the pictures and now started at the top of your blog...... What did you Preach about Austin? No Bible Notes, No Google, No internet, Just Austin's memory and God's word. Bet He told you something to say..... could they understand at all (remember this is what Paul was talking about when he mentioned an interpreter when speaking in tongues (in this case English tongue) when God gave the Apostles supernatural ability to speak and understand so they could do "Just What You Done" and spread the "Good News" as they went. Kind of put a new slant to some of the "fake" stuff back home huh. What a wonderful experience. So Mosese speaks a little different language that Fiji? Is that right? Stay Safe and Enjoy..... and LEARN from experiences like you spoke of today I Love You

    ReplyDelete
  4. Austin, I commented but failed to prove I wasn't a robot, hence you it was not published. I will keep this short, but know that I love you! and am in awe, truly in awe of how God has surrounded you with His beautiful creation and blessings. Please take care and keep on keeping on. I can sense God is glorified through your beaming, I impressive countenance. I am so proud of your skilled writing! Nan

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing adventure you are on!!! Your excitement for the missions field and your heart for these people is so refreshing to me! Keep charging for Jesus and you will never go wrong! Love the Cate family!

    ReplyDelete