Saturday, June 21, 2014

On Yasawairara - Moniti (Monday)

Monday
I believe celebrations are in order... I've officially been in Fiji for three weeks! The Lord has done amazing things in my life, and in in the lives of those around me, and I can't wait to see what He does with the next seven!
I awoke to a familiar smell... Fijian "coffee". This coffee-like tea is made solely from coconuts, sugar, and water and is more delectable than most real "coffees" I've tasted. I'll explain the process in another post so you can try it at home sometime!
After watching Mosese make the "coffee", I washed myself awake with another bucket "shower" and took a walk down the beach. As the sun rose over the, now familiar, lagoon I realized I would be leaving this place later today. I grew sad as I saw the many friendly faces I'd met flash before me. I was praying and asking The Lord to bring me back here someday when Mosese ran down the beach to me and said we were going to visit more family members. We walked through the village again and enjoyed the sights before making our way back home for another Roti and tea breakfast (quickly becoming my favorite meal), before resting for a bit before our departure... A few last goodbyes and some extra band aids applied to my blisters and we were off. We caught a ride on the flatbed truck to the resort, again flying over the hills and dodging the tropical trees as we made our way to the resort. Everything was so beautiful, yet my heart was downcast.

The Lord has provided many incredible experiences, amazing places and welcoming cultures for me to explore in the last few years... And yet, this island felt as much like home as any 5 star resort or westernized "home" I've ever been to. I've been very comfortable within a culture before, but I definitely wasn't expecting "comfort" when I was preparing for the island. They made me feel like I was one of the family and I could not be more thankful for all those who live in Bukama village for their viqwaravi (hospitality) and kindness.

We reached the entirely breathtaking resort where I saw my new friends from the village. Only now, they were dressed in the "traditional-Fijian"(touristic) attire while serving fruity alcoholic drinks to the boisterous, white tourists. I had prayed on my way to the resort for the Lord to open my attitude to what I would see at the resort, knowing full well that my heart would be heavy seeing the immense wealth of the resort within less than 3km from the polar-opposite that the Bukamans live in. I looked over to see an American tourist arguing with the waiter over how dry his martini was or was not, I  couldn't tell. To my right I saw the spectacular pool and the fountains, plush furniture surrounding the brightly-lit (with 24 hour electricity) lobby with soft jazz music playing through the wireless speakers.
I smiled at how blessed I was. 
Not that I was now in the resort, in fact, just the opposite. I smiled at the fact that I had laughed, shared in more conversation and fellowship, and had enjoyed a more realistic Fijian experience for the last 4 days than any of these visitors might think they are experiencing.
I smiled at the songs and prayers I had heard during the church services the day before.
I smiled as the wind drifted the fresh smell of the ocean across my salt-crusty, 
sunburnt, and "unwashed" skin. 
I realized how blessed I was to experience the Fiji I needed to see, rather than the "Fiji" people want to see when they visit. People want to see a prosperous Island with bountiful food and drinks. People want to see a tropical paradise "unspoiled" by the tourists (ironic, seeing as they are spoiling it by their western presence). People see what they want to when they visit Fiji, and completely miss the need and simplicity of the lives of those around them. If you go looking for a good time in a luxurous resort with a plethora of the western comforts and familiarities, you will indeed find exactly that.
However, when you find yourself in Fiji (or anywhere else in the world, for that matter), it has become my prayer that you would open your eyes to what the Lord wants you to see. He will show you the needs of those around you. He will show you true joy found in the moonlit conversations of those around you who love you. He will show you what complete contentment looks like when you look into the smiling eyes of a a barefoot child. And He will show you a part of yourself you could have never imagined.

As the little plane lifted from the grassy airstrip, I knew in my heart that I would come back to Bukama at some time. Maybe not on my timetable, but I had a peace in my heart that the Yasawa Islands would still be there when I come back, down the proverbial-road from now...And I can't wait until the day when I can go join my friends again around a plate of Ibo and say cola-vina once again.
But for now, it's back to the mainland and to the soon-arriving teams from Bakersfield and Santa Fe to see what the Lord has for the next two weeks!
For now, move and sota tale!
- Stini



2 comments: